Sometimes life circumstances such as a new job opportunity or simply a desire to make a life change can inspire a person to move to another part of the state, country or even out of the country.

Relocation becomes even more complicated if you have been divorced and have children.

Relocation is a serious issue when minor children are involved. This area of family law is grown increasingly complex due to various laws that have been enacted in the last few years.

In Florida, custodial parents cannot relocate more than 50 miles from the family residence without the consent of the other parent or permission from the court.

For noncustodial parents, a move could require a post-divorce modification to their visitation and custody agreement.

Florida law now requires that if a custodial peer parent and wishes to relocate with the children they must file a petition for relocation with the court.

The other parent may challenge the relocation based on a variety of factors that the court may consider before granting or denying a petition for relocation.

If you are thinking about relocating, or wish to challenge a proposed relocation, you need an experienced attorney on your side to help guide you through the process and ensure that yours and your children’s rights are protected.

Free & Confidential

Case Evaluation